The waste incineration plant (WIP) is one of the largest producers of district heating in Switzerland and supplies the city and region of Basel with energy in a resource-saving manner. With the help of the burners overhauled by STEBATEC, the IWB can dispose of and thermally recycle around 235,000 tonnes of waste annually in an environmentally friendly manner.
In order to be able to sustainably produce energy from household, industrial and commercial waste, IWB-Basel needs state-of-the-art technology so that optimal thermal utilisation can be achieved 365 days a year. This goal was achieved with the overhaul of the furnace lines and the renewal of the control technology. The modernised plant already uses over 76 per cent of the energy potential of waste incineration. This is the highest energy efficiency value of the 30 WIP’s in Switzerland.
A project that sets the tone for a sustainable future and cooperation
With the realisation of this project, IWB continues to focus on increasing CO₂-neutral energy production and is committed to the circular economy. We are very pleased to be able to contribute to the production of district heating, steam and electricity today and in the future, thus ensuring warm living rooms in Basel.
Added value of the modernisation of the control technology for IWB
- The plant could be refurbished within the short deadline of the planned revision.
- The agile project team with only one contact person for the different tasks (engineering – automation – assembly) ensured the required quality of execution and adherence to schedules.
- Simple and quick configuration of the control system via the high-resolution 7″ HMI touch panel.
- The system meets the strict requirements of the SVTI boiler inspectorate and the SIL 2 level.
- The high level of automation and intelligent control contribute to Switzerland’s highest energy efficiency value in thermal waste utilisation.
- The efficient technology conserves resources and reduces emissions.
- Even after modernisation, operational reliability remains guaranteed with STEBATEC’s customer-oriented round-the-clock service.
IWB supplies the Basel region. With energy. With water. With telecoms. With mobility. In Switzerland, IWB is the first port of call for climate-friendly energy. IWB contributes to a high quality of life and location in the Basel region and is driving forward the transformation from fossil to renewable energy and mobility with its customers – as a basic supplier in the canton of Basel-Stadt and throughout Switzerland.
Industry: Energy (district heating)
Customer since: 2022
Employees: Over 1000
Fabian Bron – Head of Maintenance EMSRT | BEIE at IWB
«The cooperation with STEBATEC and Saacke has worked smoothly at all times. The new control can be configured easily and quickly via the modern 7 inch HMI touch panel and the monitoring and optimisation via our process control system works excellently. We thank STEBATEC and Saacke for the high-quality order processing.»
Marcel Frei – Regional Service Manager at Saacke Schweiz GmbH
«For this complex project, we were looking for a partner who is a specialist in all the required disciplines – STEBATEC impressed us with their know-how in the execution of large orders and the solutions tailored to us in all areas, from planning to commissioning.»
Picture credits Cover: IWB Basel